Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Brocks Gap Training Center, Inc. (BGTC).
BGTC was established in the early 1960s as a gun club known as the Steel City Sports Shooting Association. It was started by a group of individuals who shared a love of shooting and a heartfelt appreciation for the Second Amendment to our Constitution. They came together to form an organization where like-minded people could gather and enjoy the sport of shooting in all its forms.
Over the years, the Steel City Sports Shooting Association grew and evolved from a gun club into the nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation we know today as Brocks Gap Training Center, Inc.
BGTC is a member-managed corporation that is chartered to support our Second Amendment rights. We do this not only by providing a safe venue for shooting, but also by offering educational and developmental opportunities to the public. These opportunities include training courses and supervised competitions in a multitude of shooting disciplines.
The mission of BGTC, as provided for in its Articles of Incorporation, includes the following:
- Provide a firearms training and sport shooting range for its members and the community.
- Promote the individual right to keep and bear arms.
- Promote the safe handling of firearms during target shooting and related activities.
- Inform and educate the public concerning all aspects of firearms safety and responsible gun ownership.
Preferred candidates for membership in BGTC are well-known, trustworthy individuals who have demonstrated an ability to responsibly and safely use firearms and who are able and willing to contribute to the mission of BGTC.
Candidates for membership must agree to background check(s), be members of the NRA, possess a valid Conceal Carry Permit, have a valid driver’s license and be legally able to possess and acquire firearms. In addition, prospective members must pay a nonrefundable membership application fee of $385 after the New Member Committee interviews you and approves you to continue the application process.
Each candidate must also be sponsored by two current members. These sponsors, whether regular members, Match Directors, Trainers, or members of the BGTC Board of Directors, will be interviewed for feedback on candidates. During the qualification process, a background check may be performed. Once the qualification and selection process is completed, the BGTC Board of Directors must vote to approve each membership candidate.
If approved as a member, you will be responsible for paying annual dues, which are currently $252 with an additional $45 annual range maintenance fee.
The best way to become acquainted with our members and to get their recommendation is by participating in and/or contributing to club matches, training events or other activities. Many events are held on weekends, are open to the public, and represent a wide variety of shooting disciplines. Please refer to the BGTC website for scheduled matches and training classes.
Current members represent every segment of our community, including business owners and professionals, members of law enforcement, the military, and public safety organizations. If you complete the application process and your application is approved, you will not only become eligible to use range facilities, you will become part of an important training organization and valuable resource for our community.
By applying for membership, you acknowledge and accept that part of the proceeds from your membership fees and dues will be used to further these primary objectives. You further understand and accept that, as an active member of BGTC, you are expected to support this mission.
To that end, every BGTC member, upon acceptance to the organization, becomes a volunteer, charged with participating in the fulfilment of our charter and our mission. This means that every member is expected to participate in organizational projects and programs, as approved by the BGTC Board of Directors, including but not limited to: training programs, competitive matches, community outreach initiatives, Boy Scout and other youth programs, charitable fund-raising campaigns, as well as general monitoring, maintenance and upkeep of the facility. By joining BGTC, you agree to volunteer by participating in these endeavors.
Some ways you can participate are as follows:
- Initiate or participate in efforts designed to improve range facilities or enhance programs to benefit BGTC members or the public.
- “Give back” to BGTC and the community by sharing your knowledge of firearms and firearm safety and by responsibly exercising your Second Amendment rights.
- Know and follow the rules of the range and make sure that the safety, security, and integrity of BGTC are never compromised.
- Share your professional knowledge and expertise when called upon regarding significant technical, managerial, or philosophical issues involving BGTC programs or operations.
- In time, consider serving in some capacity as a member of the BGTC leadership team. BGTC, as a member-led and member-managed organization, depends on an active and involved membership for its continued success.
- Be a role model with regard to safe and responsible gun ownership and use.
If you understand and accept these expectations and goals, we invite you to request an application by emailing the New Member Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.